Due to an overwhelming response, any applications received after April 10, 2013 will be placed on a waiting list.
The Western PA Humane Society is dedicated to matching shelter animals with veterans who would like to adopt a companion pet. This program offers complimentary services to ease the financial costs associated with pet ownership and build a successful relationship with the pet.
- Applications are accepted from veteran and service members of the United States military only.
- Applications must be completed by veteran and service member of the United States military only. Spouses, family members or other individuals are not eligible to apply.
- Not eligible to apply if you have been convicted of a felony or any offense against an animal.
- Applications must be approved by Western PA Humane Society management.
Prior to adoption approval, applicant must supply documentation (such as but not limited to) proof of service (retired ID card / active duty ID card) or honorable discharge (DD Form 214), copy of lease permitting pets or proof of home ownership. Applications without proper documentation will not be processed.
- If you are applying for obedience training classes for a dog that you already own, applicant must supply documentation of proof of service or honorable discharge. Prior to class approval, a staff member of Western PA Humane Society will obtain information about your pet's training needs. You will be notified if a behavior consultation is deemed necessary prior to registering for group classes.
How to apply
- Veteran or active military agent will complete application (CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD) and provide supporting documentation.
- Director of Humane Education will process within 5 business days; if application is complete, Director of HE will contact applicant by phone or email approval and offer adoption concierge services
What the program offers for approved applicants
- ADOPTION FEE WAIVED
- COMPLIMENTARY ONE YEAR WPHS MEMBERSHIP
- COMPLIMENTARY PERSONALIZED ID TAG
- $50.00 VOUCHER FOR WPHS STORE (if cat or rabbit adoption)
- $100.00 VOUCHER FOR WPHS STORE (if dog adoption)
- COMPLIMENTARY OBEDIENCE TRAINING PACKAGE (3 group courses) *Private consultations can be exchanged for group classes if deemed necessary by WPHS Director of Humane Education*
- COMPLIMENTARY BEHAVIOR ADVICE CALLS
OBEDIENCE TRAINING CLASSES
For applicants who already own a dog
- If already own dog & interested in complimentary Obedience Training Classes, please submit an application with supporting documentation.
- Director of Humane Education will process within 5 business days; if application is complete, Director of Humane Education will contact applicant by phone or email approval.
- The Western PA Humane Society will determine whether group obedience classes or a private consultation is deemed necessary.
- This service is based upon funding available and may be limited.