The Western PA Humane Society is dedicated to matching shelter animals with veterans who would like to adopt a companion pet. This program offers complimentary services to ease the financial costs associated with pet ownership and build a successful relationship with the pet.
- Applications are accepted from veteran and service members of the United States military only.
- Applications must be completed by veteran and service member of the United States military only. Spouses, family members or other individuals are not eligible to apply.
- Not eligible to apply if you have been convicted of a felony or any offense against an animal.
- Applications must be approved by Western PA Humane Society management.
Prior to adoption approval, applicant must supply documentation (such as but not limited to) proof of service (retired ID card / active duty ID card) or honorable discharge (DD Form 214), copy of lease permitting pets or proof of home ownership. Applications without proper documentation will not be processed.
- If you are applying for obedience training classes for a dog that you already own, applicant must supply documentation of proof of service or honorable discharge. Prior to class approval, a staff member of Western PA Humane Society will obtain information about your pet's training needs. You will be notified if a behavior consultation is deemed necessary prior to registering for group classes.
How to apply
- Veteran or active military agent will complete application (CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD) and provide supporting documentation.
- Director of Humane Education will process within 5 business days; if application is complete, Director of HE will contact applicant by phone or email approval and offer adoption concierge services
How You Can Help
Click here to make an online donation or contact Deanne Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org
What the program offers for approved applicants
- ADOPTION FEE WAIVED
- COMPLIMENTARY ONE YEAR WPHS MEMBERSHIP
- COMPLIMENTARY PERSONALIZED ID TAG
- $50.00 VOUCHER FOR WPHS STORE (if cat or rabbit adoption)
- $100.00 VOUCHER FOR WPHS STORE (if dog adoption)
- COMPLIMENTARY OBEDIENCE TRAINING PACKAGE (3 group courses) *Private consultations can be exchanged for group classes if deemed necessary by WPHS Director of Humane Education*
- COMPLIMENTARY BEHAVIOR ADVICE CALLS
OBEDIENCE TRAINING CLASSES
For applicants who already own a dog
- If already own dog & interested in complimentary Obedience Training Classes, please submit an application with supporting documentation.
- Director of Humane Education will process within 5 business days; if application is complete, Director of Humane Education will contact applicant by phone or email approval.
- The Western PA Humane Society will determine whether group obedience classes or a private consultation is deemed necessary.
- This service is based upon funding available and may be limited.